Journaltime

This is a place where a career, stay-at-home-work-at-home, former homeschooler, almost empty nester, rapidly passing through middle age, mom finds an outlet for the thousands of daily, unspoken words.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Divine Appointment

I am amazed at how God orchestrates divine appointments. He knows just what we need at just the right time. I was discouraged, sad, fearful and a little angry last week. It seemed that no matter how much we prayed, God was not on the move. Steve was feeling poorly - more of the same and some newer discomforts. We were both weary of the battle, tired of the fight and in a figurative way, ready to check out. Whatever that means, it is sometimes a comforting thought in an odd sort of way. I was to meet a friend of mine, Laurie, for lunch last Friday. She and I don't know each other well, and see one another seldom as she lives in Iowa. We have kept in touch via email and have prayed for each other during some pretty tough times. Laurie recently went through a scary bout of cancer and we rejoiced in God's healing work in her life. She was in the area for a doctor's appointment and had brought a good friend along, Nancy, whom I had never met. My mood that day was less about meeting friends for a good time, and more about getting out of the house for a change of scenery. As soon as I saw Laurie and met her friend, though, I knew it was going to be a great couple of hours. There were hugs all around, even between strangers and assurances of concern and prayer for us. Our conversation moved easily from the every-day frivolous to the stuff that really mattered. Nancy shared her testimony with me of how God healed her just a few months ago of a serious brain concussion. She had been driving her business van and was rear-ended by a Mack Truck! She went from a confident, self-sufficient, successful business woman to a shut-in, in that moment. The pain in her head, the magnified sounds in her ears kept her secluded for three months. During that time, God revolutionized her life and ultimately healed her. I shared some of Steve's story (it's really "our" story) and I can almost feel the faith welling up inside her. "It's time to go to battle," she says. "I feel such faith for this man I've never met. You are at the end of your trial - God is going to do something great." She prayed with great conviction, authority and faith. We parted friends and I decided that I want to grow up to be this kind of woman! Faith - joy - optimism spilling out every pore!

Steve started to improve and has had a few better days. He looked at his most recent blood tests at the doctor's office today and many of his levels have improved significantly. He has more energy than before and some of his symptoms seem to be lessening. We are encouraged to press on, to persevere and never give up. If God is FOR us, who can be AGAINST us? The battle is the Lord's - and He has won it!

Praise God for divine appointments. He knows just what we need at just the right time.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger prairierose said…

    Amen! PTL! I'm remembering a verse which I can't find that says something to the effect that God does not put out the smoldering flax or the let the reed topple over (I think it's in Isaiah). He knows the exact moment to encourage and strengthen.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger DD4 said…

    Praise God for this good news. I will continue to pray for Steve and you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home