Journaltime

This is a place where a career, stay-at-home-work-at-home, former homeschooler, almost empty nester, rapidly passing through middle age, mom finds an outlet for the thousands of daily, unspoken words.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Blackbird Bluff

I pulled my car into the parking lot of a very lovely little park, where I was to meet a dear friend of mine whom I hadn't seen in over a year. A sleek shiny blackbird on the grassy area in front of me caught my attention. He was busy pecking at a small wad of bread, enjoying an unexpected treat, I'm sure. A much larger blackbird circled him menacingly - moving in closer, then hopping back. I could almost hear his bird voice squawking, "Drop it buddie and I mean now!" I wondered why the smaller bird seemed oblivious. He was not in the least frightened and he continued to enjoy his dinner. After a moment, the bully bird backed off and he was suddenly the same size as the other bird. He had puffed his feathers out in an attempt to look big and scary. The smaller bird knew he was a bluff and a phoney and paid him no mind.

I immediately thought about how the Bible describes our enemy, Satan, as a roaring lion, prowling around looking for someone to devour. A lion who roars is not to be feared because he has given his presence away allowing his prey time to escape. When we are in tune with God, we don't need to fear Satan's tactics. We will hear the roar a mile away and and take appropriate action to see to his defeat. Satan's roar is not to be feared because compared to God, he is all black bird bluff. Let's pay him no mind!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home